Posted by Mr O'Toole | Posted in Excursions, Mr O'Toole's messages, Physical Education | Posted on August 17, 2016
Posted by Mr O'Toole | Posted in Uncategorized | Posted on August 15, 2016
This afternoon the grade 5 students travelled to Weeroona College to participate in some Science based activities. They experimented with magnets, microscopes, indicators and chromatography. They also did some scientific drawings. Overall it was a fantastic afternoon visiting our local high school.
What was your favourite activity?
What did you discover?
Today was our first lesson on probability with fractions. The task was to draw a spinner where the chance of it landing on a red was 1/4. Here are a few students that were proud of their efforts.
What can you tell me about the task we did?
What does the numerator represent?
What does the denominator represent?
Posted by Mr O'Toole | Posted in Integrated Studies, Mr O'Toole's messages | Posted on August 5, 2016
Answer the focus questions with a partner on this post. Make sure you answer in complete sentences and use key words from the question in your answers.
- What was the main point of the story?
- What did an ABC report into the greyhound industry find?
- Which state has decided to ban greyhound racing?
- Australia is one of only ________ countries in the world where greyhound racing still happens.
- Why do some people want greyhound racing banned?
- Describe Jacinta’s involvement in greyhound racing.
- Why is Jacinta against banning greyhound racing?
- If the ban goes ahead, what will happen to ex-racing dogs?
- Why does Michaela say greyhounds make great pets?
- Do you think greyhound racing should be banned in Australia? Give reasons for your answer.
Well done to the class members who were awarded some subway cookies for reading the required amounts at home. As a class we agreed to read 4-5 nights a week and bring our diaries in, signed, on Friday morning.
Thank you to Stewart and Jess from Kangaroo Flat Subway for doing a great deal for the kids, supplying the delicious treats.
What did everyone think of our latest treats?
Posted by Mr O'Toole | Posted in Physical Education, Reading, Writing | Posted on July 22, 2016
Choose at least 3 of these questions and answer them in complete sentences in your workbooks. Then write a short summary about the story on your blog making sure to state what you learnt from the story.
- Discuss the main issues raised in the Concussion Campaign story with another student.
- About how many sports-related concussions occur in Australia each year?
- What happens to the brain when someone gets concussed?
- What are the symptoms of concussion?
- Experts say that kids may have a higher chance of getting concussions than adults. True or false?
- Why do some people think wearing head protection could make things worse?
- What other suggestions have been made to reduce the number of concussions?
- What is the aim of the `no brain no game’ campaign?
- What do you think could be done to reduce the number of concussions in kids?
Posted by Mr O'Toole | Posted in Integrated Studies | Posted on July 21, 2016
This afternoon we researched and discussed the healthy food pyramid. Our discussions made us wonder what a “serving” was for each of us. We now know a serve of vegetables is a double hand full. A serve of grains and fruit are the size of our fist. Proteins should fit in our Palm. Fats should be the size of our thumb.
What did you find interesting?
What do you know about the healthy food pyramid?
Today I went on the giant swing It was so scary on the first swing and then it was fun. After that we went to the archery I got a bullseye it was so cool. Jack C
Today we done giant swing and then we done geo caching after that we done low ropes. My favourite thing was geo caching because you had to find things. Tom
Today we went to camp, it was really fun. The bus ride felt really long. We got to do activities like archery and the giant swing. Ella.
Today i went on the giant swing and I went up to the 12 thing on the swing and in my canon was Ella and Nikita camp is fun. Rebecca
Today I went and did the flying fox and made a pizza. I had cheese and tomato paste on my pizza. My group was number 1. My cabin Seth and Tom.Judd.
Posted by Mr O'Toole | Posted in Library, Maths, Mr O'Toole's messages | Posted on July 15, 2016
Today we presented assembly for the second time this year. Ethan and Shelby did a fantastic job of hosting. The whole class also performed their “BODMAS Song” very well. Congratulations everyone!
Our class was also awarded the Library Book Borrowing Award for the first time this year with 96% of the class borrowing. Well done! We should also congratulate Mrs McCarten’s grade for winning it for 20 straight weeks before us.
What did everyone think about our song? Catchy?
Do you think you know BODMAS better now?
Posted by Mr O'Toole | Posted in Integrated Studies, Reading, Writing | Posted on July 15, 2016
With your clock buddy discuss these questions:
What did you SEE in this video?
What do you THINK about what you saw in this video?
What does this video make your WONDER?
How did this video make you FEEL?
Imagine you own one of the houses shown in the video. Write a letter to the local council about your predicament and list the action you would like taken.
Our Class has been learning netball for the past term it was fun but we had a couple of delays because of the weather. It rained for 4 of our lesson’s. When we had a lesson of netball we were being taught by Janelle. To thank her for that here are some of the students thoughts.
Rebecca: I think the sport is really good and that I might take netball as a weekend sport.
Ella: That it was fun and everyone had an even share of the ball.
Shelby: I think that everyone should have a shot of netball because it’s fun and easy.
Shanae: Because you get to train and because you get to play mini games and learn new skills.
Reese: I thought it was fun because of the channels and you get to learn how to lead.
Skye: I liked netball because it is fun to play and you get to play a game.
Every one loved playing netball with Janelle because she was nice and kind to everyone. So thanks Janelle everyone loved the skills that you taught.
Written by Ethan
Posted by Mr O'Toole | Posted in Integrated Studies, Reading | Posted on July 14, 2016
Watch this BTN episode on erosion and then answer the focus questions with a partner in your workbooks.
- Where in Australia was affected by storms and floods recently?
- Which two factors made the recent storm so destructive?
- What is erosion?
- What did the erosion experiment in the BtN story explain?
- What sort of landforms does erosion help shape?
- During unusually violent weather, erosion happens much ____________.
- What causes tides?
- A king tide occurs when…
- How do plants help reduce the erosion of coastlines?
- Why are many scientists worried about the number of buildings located along the beach?